9/04/2007

Random thoughts

Yesterday I heard from Ryo that my GSB classmate, Jake Harriman, has actually incorporated his own social enterprise in California. It has something to do with Africa and that's why Jake was in Kenya for his summer internship, during which he established some business relationship with local vendors.

I had a mixed feeling after hearing this. On one hand, I am very proud of Jake and respect him a lot. I wonder what it takes to start a social venture like his. On the other, I feel dwarfed by a million times when compared to Jake. I am also doing a nonprofit internship in Kenya, but on my blog, there's not a single entry talking about my work (although I intended to write something about it later). While I am posting pictures taken on my safari adventures, Jake was diligently working in remote rural area but didn't get to do one safari during his two months here. Not that he didn't want to in the first place. Not that going on a safari is a shameful thing as opposed to doing good. But come to think about the difference.

"Live the life that makes other no envious, but proud of."

Today I have a better understanding of this quote.

No comments: